Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 06 Jul 2016 18:23 #988

In the middle of drawing my boom and vertical tail parts.....Do we have a number for the amount of rudder travel each side? I will check some of the photos here.....

Yasushi shows the control horn above the top of the boom but I think the drawing shows it farther down. I like Yasushi's geometry.
Last edit: by Don B.
The topic has been locked.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 07 Jul 2016 10:10 #989

I'll check my rudder assembly later today and let you know the amount of travel either side.

Be aware that if you move the location of the rudder horns (to above the tail boom) that you will also need to re-align the horizontal internal bracing and the location of the control wire holes in the tail boom bulkheads to avoid the wires rubbing against the bulkheads. It is a good idea to run the wires through a short length of nylon or PTFE tube (or a plastic grommet) wherever thay pass through a bulkhead to minimise rubbing and potential wear or damage to the cables.

Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 07 Jul 2016 17:17 #990

Thank you, In that everything in mine is different except for the outside shape, and I probably will have a round boom too, ...... the bulkhead drawings for me are NA . There is the statement in the build notes...about the vertical fin is so similar to the horizontal tail that there was no need to discuss it.... seems to me to say that the rudder is +/- 30 degree too like the elevator....I figured I would check though as I believe you might have read everything on your site because I have not. When I layout the rudder horn as drawn against the boom, the horn hits the boom at no where near 30 degree/ more like 18 degree, but my boom layout is different too.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 07 Jul 2016 19:45 #991

Ok, I just measured the rudder travel on my CD and it is +/- 25°, but looking at the drawings I believe that +/- 30° is likely to be the correct, intended deflection.

My rudder is currently being limited by the two attachment bolts I have added that allow me to remove the tail fin from the boom. With a little re-profiling with a Dremmel, I could easily extend my rudder deflection to +/- 30°.

Another job for my to-do list!

Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B
Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 07 Jul 2016 19:53 #992

That my layout is for round rather than oval that makes sense.....I do not see a direct call-out/dimension anywhere. That my horn will not be molded CF I probably will relocate it to somewhere simpler.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 29 Jul 2016 14:20 #993

Cleared off the bench, plotting the flat patterns. Ready to start cutting metal for the Vertical Tail.
Attachments: