Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 02:08 #964

I missed it/can not find it, what was the final weight of your boom?
The topic has been locked.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 10:03 #965

Hmm... I thought I'd posted the weight of the tail boom earlier, but I can't find it either! I'll have to remove the tailboom from the pod and weigh it again... though I recently bonded the turtle deck and tail-skid onto the tail boom, so it has gained a little weight since last time! It may be a while before I get a chance to do this as I'm fairly busy with other stuff at the moment, but... watch this space.

Phil.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 17:08 #966

my calc. preliminary on the alum one is 10# plus some more for parts not in the calculation ....not happy but doubt I can compete weight wise with a CF one. I figure yours is somewhere around 5# but I do not know.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 17:32 #967

I re-read the article I wrote about making my tail boom and I see that the untrimmed halves of the boom skin each weighed around 850g. I'd guess the internal ribs probably weighed another ~100g. The carbon rods weighed 717g. Add another 350g for pulleys, wire and epoxy/cotton-flock (to glue everything together) and I reckon my tail boom is around 2867g (6.5lbs) - this is a *very* rough guestemate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 19:07 #968

A few more photos of what I've been up to recently...

The Turtle Deck - between the flaperons:

Attachments:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 17 May 2016 19:19 #969

A few more photos of what I've been up to recently...

The Turtle Deck: