Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 30 Jul 2016 00:46 #994

Looking good!

Don't forget that there are a couple of errors in the tail fin drawings... which I found the hard way!

www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/home...#errors-in-the-plans

Phil.
The topic has been locked.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 30 Jul 2016 01:49 #996

thanks, saw them, and my hinges are in a different place anyway....A good rule for metal is to try to tie as much structure together as possible, so my hinge are bolted at the ribs, not offset. Completely different hinge design too, actually every part is different except for the overall platform. I am not able to make parts and assemble them. I have to re-draw every part. I have to completely layout the whole assembly and then pull the parts out of the assembly drawing.

My experience and it is what I used to do for a living (design or design and build machinery), the design takes as long as the fabrication. In this case I think adding in the stress analysis it might take twice as long as the fabrication.
Last edit: by Don B.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 21 Oct 2016 20:14 #1001

Assembling the rudder.
Attachments:

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 23 Oct 2016 20:39 #1002

I sent this message to Dan Indermuehle using the address found on the old site, it did not get through....Does anyone know the details?

Hello Dan ....I found your e-mail on the Carbon Dragon Site.

I was wondering if you could give me more details: "Move wheel back. Concerned about plans vs. amount of aileron deflection. " How much did you move the wheel back and why. Do you have a Fuselage location, or location in relation to the main spar? What is the comment about the aileron deflection mean?

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 24 Oct 2016 10:21 #1003

Hi Don,

I tried contacting Dan a couple of years ago using the @swissonline.ch and @bluewin.ch email addresses on this site... but got no reply, and gave up trying.

I just did a quick Google search and came up with a promising lead: www.i-b.ch/ueber-uns/team

Let me know if you have any success contacting him with this new address.

Phil.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 25 Oct 2016 19:09 #1004

Rudder finished except for some trimming and of course fabric. It weighed in at 2.20 LB. The original vertical tail weighed 5 lb. so we have to wait and see where the vertical stabilizer comes in, but it looks like it will be close. Limit load test for this will be at assembly with the stabilizer and boom so that will be a while... Stay tuned for vertical stabilizer assembly.
Attachments: