Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 13 Mar 2018 21:29 #1089

Tip rib with skid and counter weight shown. This is the simpler less complicated edit.
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 04 Apr 2018 00:30 #1090

Working on tables....I can not unroll my 23 ft sheet (no spar web splices) until they are done and a space cleared in the basement for them. This is a 2x4 ft. modified EAA table and I plan on a minimum of 6. (6x4=24 ft). They are flat and have adjustable feet so the whole surface will be flat and level from table to table. Having the laser beam will come in handy for getting everything correct.

Attachments:
Last edit: by Don B.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 09 Apr 2018 23:32 #1091

Tables done and leveled. (picture is before I finished) (but you get the idea) Soon back to cutting aluminum.
Attachments:
Last edit: by Don B.

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 21 Apr 2018 01:21 #1093

I now have the large pieces cut or laid out and so am able to cut small pieces for the ribs. Not much different than previous work, just keep plugging away until it is done

Attachments:

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 21 Apr 2018 09:31 #1094

Looking good Don - keep going!

I finished spraying my flight surfaces (primer & top coat) and it looks like a real glider now! Weights and balance next...

Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B

Powered Aluminum Dragon (Part 1) 22 Apr 2018 17:19 #1096

Third and Fourth rib from the tip RH and LH. Plot of assembly and flat patterns. Paste to aluminum (just bought 1 qt of rubber cement) and cut, line in middle is bend line. Holes are in the top pieces of the assembly for drill through at assembly after mounted in the jig. The plotter is within .01 and on 100% rag Vellum it is very stable. The pen plotter is better than my printer, but for small parts the printer would work ok. It is easier to keep the parts straight if I plot them all for any rib on one sheet. The only problem I have had is it is best to wait 12 hr for the glue to dry, as the vellum does not allow air through much.

Attachments: