Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CDII -fuselage 09 Dec 2013 00:51 #405

sample made out of what ?
The material I consider the minimum for a wing skin is twice the weight of your numbers.

George @ curedcomposites.com

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., "KarlS" wrote:
>
> Yes I agree 155 is to heavy to foot launch. However the ULF-1 is foot launch able. I think a steady wind to help lift the aircraft is what makes it possible. To do it once classifies it as footlaunchable.
> I'm just saying to do it just to do it. Once. The pilot has to be on the cg like the Archaeopteryx then. I'm all for roll launching.
>
> A 100 % composite under 155 is going to be tough. I agree. I have a lot of samples of different layups. I measure my sample in 6" by 6" squares. 14 to 16 grams for a 6x6 is pretty light for composite sandwich layups. Do we have the sq ft surface area of the CD? Multiply that by 60 grams and you have a composite skin weight. That's without load carrying spars, etc.
>
> Karl
>
>
> --- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > --- On Sun, 3/11/12, KarlS <kschneider@> wrote:
> >
> > From: KarlS <kschneider@>
> > Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
> > To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
> > Date: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 8:25 AM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Karl �" I don’t think you are missing anything �" I think
> > their boom looks longer, so whatever the weight is it has more leverage (less
> > weight to balance the moments), so I’m not sure how much more it weighs, and
> > from their sheet, I’m seeing conflicting numbers on weight �" I don’t think the
> > 55KG number is correct and I’m not sure where that came from. In the Axel Word doc in the files section it
> > says 89 Kg is the empty weight �" I believe that’s possible…
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > You really have to think light-weight here �" I’m not sure it’s
> > possible to do it like the Axel and make the 70 Kg ultralight weight �" In fact
> > I’m pretty sure you can’t. Look at the Archaeopteryx
> > �" there is no canopy, very little structure for the pod etc. It’s a bit short of the 15 pounds though, so
> > I think we could get some kind of pod �" just don’t know whether it can be a
> > contoured composite one or a frame and skin.Â
> > Of course, you can do it either way, but the weight won’t be the same…
> > I think 155 Lb is too heavy to foot launch.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: