Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Wing ribs 09 Dec 2013 01:19 #425

the only thing to remember, oops, 2 things, is that they are NOT very stable on their own, And, they are prone to damage, so MUST be covered.

--- On Mon, 3/5/12, Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: RE: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Wing ribs
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 7:31 PM

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of the rod for the wing spars and ordered enough to do the elevator spars, tail, rudder and tail boom also (more experements needed, but I want to eliminate the wood-carbon-wood sandwich longerons in there too!)

In the tail boom I reckon that if you bonded carbon rods (in place of the wood/carbon longerons) to the outer CF skin and enclosed them under another layer of CF cloth you would probably end up with a plenty strong enough boom, and a much lighter one. I also plan to replace the mahogony ply internal rings/supports with CF/5mm-foam/CF sandwich cutouts - again, much lighter and plenty strong enough.

I'm still pondering various ideas about how to go about making the pilot pod - I reckon there's lots of weight to be lost there.

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of KarlS
Sent: 06 March 2012 01:15
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Wing ribs

The rod is actually fairly reasonable on costs. I believe the rod if properly engineered would not cost that much for say a fuselage. Making box beams or triangular beams with foam core and then triangulating them into structures wouldn't be that expensive.

A fuselage nose shell with nice shape and a triangulated tail or box truss structure covered with dacron would look great. Super light weight and simple.

You can always sell the house. :-) Just my 2 cents.

Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: