Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wing ribs 09 Dec 2013 01:32 #435

I've given this some thought and think it MIGHT be possible; BUT, you'd have to make your own rods due to the curvature issues that Phil pointed out. Also, most rods are actually TOO robust for what we are doing. I was thinking more like square Carbon tubes so that you still had significant area to bond to, and I completely agree with Phil -- you'd want some type of gusset at the joints. However, if you used square tube, I think you could bond them all rather than use a mechanical attachment. Where there is a will there is a way. I was thinking you could make the tubes, as a minimum, out of unidirectional tape wrapped in the 2 oz glass. Maybe 3/4 X 3/4 test that and see what it got you...

You likely have to make the curved ones over foam, then eat the foam out with something... Just a thought.

--- On Mon, 3/5/12, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Wing ribs
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 10:21 AM

Nice work Phil and nice drawings Charlie.

I want to share a couple ideas.

1). Could you not make truss ribs out of pultruded graphlite rod. Just some simple pin jigs and use carbon fiber cloth at the joints?

2) I uploaded some photos that shows how I built some wing ribs. A full rack of ribs that really only took a few hours. The concept was to cut a slot and then drop in the spar. It all jig built and really pretty easy to do. Here's the link to our photo section.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Carbondragonbuild...m/777507385/pic/list

Both of these ideas are for discussion purposes for CDII.

Regards,

Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: