Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Carbon Dragon structural limits 10 Dec 2013 22:30 #539

Hi Karl,

Please *do* scan and upload that article (and any others about the CD) to the files or photos section of the group - I'd be very interested to read it.

A lot of the links to articles and websites on www.carbondragon.us with details of the CD over the years are dead and that info is, I fear, lost to us. If anyone has old copies of Sailplane Builder mag (or others) with mention of the Carbon Dragon, please upload the scans so we can maintain an archive on this group.

Thanks,

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of KarlS
Sent: 06 February 2012 01:46
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Carbon Dragon structural limits

Hi Kenny and all,
In the article it states the design has been proof loaded to 5g and has a 7.5 g ultimate design. It does not mention pilot weight but it does say the pilot that did a lot of the initial testing weighed 210 lbs with parachute. Dan Armstrong was his name. I'll scan the article and upload it for you guys.
Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> Karl,If the old construction method could be loaded to 5gs, then the rods should have no problem boosting that up significantly. The other problem is that 5gs at what pilot weight? So, that's why Phil and I were working on the calculations for using the rods. I'll probably never be below about 185 and often float upwards of 200. Using a pilot weight of 200-220 really doesn't make much difference with regard to the structural weight, especially with the carbon rods, so why not? It would be interesting to look at the original test though... I think with the increased pilot weight, the tail boom ought to be a little longer to give it a bit more authority... That;'s why I didn't want to change the design so much. If you sale the wing dimension up about 7% (*which isn't so much) the area goes up around 14%, which will increase payload significantly. Also, the root gets a little deeper, so the increased moment doesn't mean SO much to the spar
> cap and attach fitting loads. I don't think it should bee too big a deal to do, and I would do that if I built one (since I'd want to actually fly it!).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: