Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Carbon Dragon structural limits 10 Dec 2013 23:03 #560

If I remember correctly, that pilot also had to add to his total weight the clothes he was wearing; plus, the parachute. He felt he was pushing his luck weight-wise. Otherwise, he loved flying the Carbon Dragon.

That brings up the quandary, do you wear a parachute which is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and bust the glider but parachute down safely ... or do you not wear a parachute and maybe don't break the glider; thus, you don't need a parachute?

Steve

On Feb 3, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Dewey wrote:

Steve, I weigh 185, can you elaborate on the the 185lb test-pilot's comments?

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Steve Adkins wrote:
>
> This is the closest I have seen to a description negative load rating
> carbondragon.us/carbon_dragon_polar_v_diagram_large
> I leave it to you to correctly interpret the v-diagram
> Note: somewhere, I figured if you fly at a more forward CG, your max tow speed is lowered.
>
> Included in the packet is a one page write-up by Gary Osoba:
> carbondragon.us/gary_osoba_pilot_report_large.jpg
> In this article, Gary describes how the load limit is reduced as the pilot weight goes up.
>
> One early test pilot who weighed 185 pounds told me he felt very uncomfortable flying the Carbon Dragon.
>
> These images are from the seven-page information packet sent out by Jim Maupin for which I paid $10 (if I remember correctly).
>
> Good luck to you who are building. If the builder in Iowa, who now had my plans, please send me a progress report and a view photos.
>
> Steve
> S. Steve Adkins
> carbondragon.us/
> ... this static website gets nearly 1000 visits per month)
> I apologize for no longer keeping it up to date.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: