Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tail surface hinge assembly 10 Dec 2013 23:49 #585

Sorry, I had that backwards. The pin stays attached to the rudder, which slides down into the hole on the half attached to the vertical stab

From: Rick Mullins <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
To: "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Tail surface hinge assembly

The pin stays in the part of the hinge attached to the vertical stab. The gap cover over it has a "T" cut in it so the rudder hinge can go through that then drop down onto the pin. I have a picture in my album (img_0588) that shows the hinge assembled before the gap covers are installed. Using roving instead of bolts saves weight. A small amount, but all these little savings add up. It's way too easy to add weight, much harder to keep it off.

From: Dewey <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:14 PM
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Tail surface hinge assembly

Can anyone explain how to assemble the rudder to the vertical stab once the airplane is finished? I can't see how one would insert and fasten the pivot bolts through the hinges. Would not the gap covers interfere with assembly? Also, why not bolt the hinges to the spars instead of the "sewing" with roving? This seems gimmicky.
The same applies for the elevator and horizontal stab as well. Photos would be nice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: