Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Carbon" Dragon? 11 Dec 2013 00:09 #597

Dear Dewey

If I thought, the designer would grope for the use of the then carbon in various ways.
Because the carbon rod was not commercially available at the time of a design, is not there no help for it?
The produced carbon dragon includes all, the present technique and is remodeled now.
As for my dragon, the Web is glass fiber, and a spar cap is a carbon rod.
However, it is a very interesting thing to create a pipe of the carbon by.
I devise it in various ways, and please make a modern carbon dragon.

Sorry broken english by yahoo translate. have fun.

Yasushi Akahori from Japan

Original Message
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:35 AM
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] "Carbon" Dragon?

First of all let me say that I am looking for edification and information, I am NOT looking to offend anyone. With that said, here goes.
I own a set of Dragon plans and construction manual and there are a couple of things that I wonder about. The first is this, except for the tailboom is there really a point to the carbon roving that is incorporated into the airframe ostensibly for structural reinforcement?
The roving can not possibly develop anywhere near its theoretical strength, mainly because it's impossible to keep all of the fibers straight and under consistent tension. would not omitting all of the roving and making the sparcaps of solid or laminated Spruce result in a structure that is just as strong at very close to the same weight? The carbon roving in the flaperon ribs and trailing ribs seems a bit gimmicky also. The flaperons already seem sufficiently robust in construction without the carbon. Lastly is the control parts that made of carbon like the torque tube, etc. Is this really needed? Why not aluminum? The ULF-1 uses no carbon, is it weaker than the Dragon? The Dragon's design seems quite normal for a wooden sailplane of its weight except for the roving.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: