Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: plywood properties 12 Dec 2013 00:11 #701

Russ,

Please use the spell checker my eyes are killing me trying to read your posts.

Regards,

Charlie Johnson, 550 hours Hang gliding, 120 mile max distance cross country flight.
Ogden, Utah

In a message dated 8/3/2011 5:50:31 P.M. Alaskan Daylight Time, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. writes:

hi kenny
i had a copple of questions on the 31 st

i understand your reason for balistick....where will you atach the save point?
can i sugest oround the spar with a piggy back connection to you/a climbing/maintanance harness.

out of intrest...there is a video on utube of the arco opterex..as always iv spelt it wrong but you know what i mean.arckopterex......failing in flyte...spar at bottom of loop fails..no fatelity...balistic.

your body weight will be 90 kg i remember you saying..i think you can get well under 220 lb,pilot and equipment....but thats fine with your reason being to get hevier people in your glider.......most of the gliders iv flown have a max of 110 kg pilot weight.

your going for a bigger aircraft right?and its going to have a beefed up spar and some carbon parts?......im thinking you will need to go hevier in your aircraft weight estimate.

i know you said this is rubbish..i got it from a book on airodynamics/engineering.in flyte the wings are said to cary themselves.
when you come to calculate your g loading,positive and negative...it will be calculated on weight what hangs from the wings only......it is very important for you to drop ever ounce from anything that hangs from the wings becaus it will moltiply with every g.

at 6 g's a 18lb balistic(example only) will weigh 108 lb....you still need to add for mounting hardware and extra lenth to clear wing span.

at 6 g's a 5lb(i just weighed mine..no throw bag or hardware) will weigh 30lb my throw reserve has to go to 21.6 g's befor it loads the wings at 108lb.

to cater for the extra force the balistic weight gives, you need to build a stronger wing and fuse and fuse/wing connections.........so your fuse and fuse/wing conections get hevier so now you have to build a stronger wing again to carry that and on it goes.

most gliders are 6 positve g and i think 4 negative g.

with a closed canopy..you will put a small window to open for visibility incase of icing/fogging/loss of visibility.

the dragon has the windows rolled down for elbo room.....you have a side stick.....sitting in a dragon before you start is a must for you as you are designing for a larger pilot.

the dragon actualy had an after thaught change...the cockpit was widened......you can see the change in a finished glider..it looks like the door is the wrong shape for it.

i still think a cliped wing dragon is a better path for a hevier pilot.
a cliped wing dragon would be an exelent glider for anyone.
its worth noting that with the help of birds i have followed micro lift threads in a paraglider,with three times the sink rate of the dragon..the point being you will still be able to use micro lift on a cliped wing dragon.

russ.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Kenny <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

Personally, I'm going for more of a closed cockpit, so I think the ballistic chute is a better choice and you get 25 Lb credit which nets you another 7 pounds on the airframe (which will probably be needed). I mostly want to make sure I'm adding enough weight that it will be useful for more people 'regular-sized' people rather than the anorexic few...

again:

What I was going to use for weight (initial) calculations is:
155 airframe
25 ballistic chute (I'm guessing actual weight closer to 18 lb)
220 pilot and equipment.

That is 400 fly-away -- anybody see a problem with that?

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., russell wilson wrote:
>

> the standard dragon canopy has the windows wound down.
>
> someone posted some weights pilot,gear,aircraft..for inital
> calculations...and asked for opinions.i was asking questions to help with
> that request.was that you kenny?
>
> russ.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: