Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Magic Dragon Uncovered video 13 Dec 2013 00:40 #789

Watching Steve Arndt's Magic Dragon Uncovered video again, I'm curious as to why he decided to use Kevlar and fibre glass on the main wing spar and trailing edge spar rather than just carbon fibre on its own. My understanding is that Kevlar is not as strong in compression/tension as carbon fibre. I can understand his choice of Kevlar in covering the pilot pod as it is less likely to allow sharp objects through the fuselage in the event of a sub-optimal landing. Any thoughts?

I also see from the video that he also provided for the addition of winglets to control the wing tip vortices, though there is no further mention of them in this or the other video of the finished glider. Does anyone know if Steve actually flew with them and whether or not they were successful... or just a nice idea!? Are there any photos or design specs for the tips floating around?

Steve also mentions that his wings are around a foot longer than the original design spec. "about 5-6 inches on each wing tip" - any ideas as to his reason for this, and what effect did it have on the glider's performance and/or behaviour?

Phil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: