Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 05 Jan 2015 15:43 #853

Rick Mullins writes: One other thing that came to mind when I was looking through some of the builder pictures. It looks like at least one other person made the same mistake I made installing the rear wing mounting beam through the boom. It's not mounted perpendicular to the boom centerline as it would seem but tilted the same degree as the wings are mounted, 4 degrees I think. Not obvious in the plans...might save you some work.

Thanks for that Rick - that's a very important point which I was only vaguely aware of (I haven't got to that bit yet!) Looking at the plans, only drawing #14 (Pod Assembly) shows the main wing has a 4degree angle of attack in relation to the axis of the tail boom (and also pod sill line.)

Drawing #16 (Pod Frame Templates) shows details of the Wing Attachment Fitting (to the pod at Sta. 54.50") - the 4degree tilt being taken care of by the shims either side of the pod frame.

But... Looking at the other drawings you're right, I can't see any mention of a 4degree tilt on either the rear wing attachment compression beam going through the tail boom OR on the attachment fittings on the wing itself!

I am planning to make the tail boom detachable from the pilot pod for more compact transport - it will be attached to the pod frame at station 72.00" and 72.25" using metal brackets either side of the frame using pip pins. That, however, requires the compression beam to be in the same plane as pod frame 72.00. I'll have to draw do a more detailed drawing of the connection points to get this straight in my mind before I tackle it!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Phil.

PS - I just popped the fiberglass mold off the H-stab plug this morning. Ooooo it looks so nice!
Last edit: by Phil Lardner.
The topic has been locked.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 05 Jan 2015 17:42 #855

The rear wing mounting has to slide between the two aluminum brackets mounted to the compression beam passing through the boom. 4 degrees is enough that it won't fit. If you need it perpendicular to the boom you can do what I had to do...shim the brackets to 4 degrees.

Keep posting the pictures. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 12 May 2015 10:54 #884

Hi Rick,

Your note about the rear spar compression beam being installed at 4deg came at just the right time for me - I was trying to figure out that very point when your post arrived - thanks! I've since completed my tail boom and am very happy with the way it turned out.

Phil.

Attachments:
Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 12 May 2015 11:12 #885

Horizontal Stabiliser & Elevator - DONE! :)

Phil.
Attachments:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 12 May 2015 12:09 #886

Wow, looking very nice. As much as I know you are looking forward to flying this thing, I'm sure you will feel like I did and suffer a bit of withdrawal when it's finally done and you don't have it to work on any more. It won't be long before the modifications begin :-)

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 18 May 2015 19:09 #890

OH WOW !!

Phil that is a thing of beauty !!