Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 12:34 #925

The topic has been locked.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 12:47 #926

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 12:51 #927

It's really looking nice, Phil. You are having much better success with the infusion than I had. I was constantly battling air leaks. I had read somewhere you needed ports every meter but you seem to be doing well with half that number. Also you may already be doing this but the rotary cutters that you can buy at any fabric store cut the carbon fiber fabric very nicely and easily, even when it's too dull to cut normal fabric. Also those vibrating cutters work really well on the finished parts and don't cut skin if you slip.
Last edit: by Rick Mullins. Reason: grammer

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 12:57 #928

I just picked up the control hardware for my CD from a really good friend who has clearly spent a lot of time and care on them! Ken Hickey is a professional fitter and machinist, and has access to some really cool toys at work! The quality and finish on these metal parts is second to none - and a million miles ahead of anything I could have produced! Thanks a million Ken!! :)

In a slight departure from the original plans, Ken made the pitch control arm in two parts that slide inside each other and are secured by a stainless steel cotter pin. This allows the whole assembly to be disassembled very easily if required in future.

Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 13:09 #929

Rick Mullins: It's really looking nice, Phil. You are having much better success with the infusion than I had. I was constantly battling air leaks. I had read somewhere you needed ports every meter but you seem to be doing well with half that number. Also you may already be doing this but the rotary cutters that you can buy at any fabric store cut the carbon fiber fabric very nicely and easily, even when it's too dull to cut normal fabric. Also those vibrating cutters work really well on the finished parts and don't cut skin if you slip.

Yup - on the longer infusion jobs I used two or more resin infusion ports spaced along the table along with a length of spiral-cut tube running the length of the table and between the infusion ports. This sped up the infusions big time... but even then, resin infusion would often stall (or slow down too much) after about 6 - 8' (working on a 24" wide table / vac bag.)

My work table surface is made from 3/4" thick melamine covered chipboard. I found that the melamine would become porous after a few vacuum infusion jobs and would start to allow air up through micro-holes. This never became a problem and the vacuum pump coped very well. Worst case - you end up with a slightly resin-rich part.
Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 1) 06 Oct 2015 13:53 #930

That is looking Brilliant Phil !!
Thanks for all the pics :)