Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 13 Oct 2017 10:27 #1068

With the remnants of tropical storm Ophelia bearing down on us, I think load testing is out for the next few days. Pity, as it's a stonking 25C here this morning (and really muggy!) but already blowing strong, with some punchy gusts :-(

Yup - my normal base of operations in the south of France is Laragne camping (for hang gliding) but Jac Bott has set up an aero-tow operation for Swifts / Archaeopteryx / ATOS gliders at Aspres-sur-Buëch, just north of Laragne, and that's where I will be next summer (fingers crossed!)

www.google.ie/maps/search/aeroclub+near+.../data=!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Phil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 23 Feb 2018 23:08 #1082

Progress!

At long, long last the weather has settled down enough to get my wings out of their trailer, set them up and load test them... again!

I am delighted (and very relieved) to say that they passed their 5g torture session with flying colours!

I have a glider!! :-)

Here's a video of both the failed load test and the success:

I can now finally get on and spray paint the wings and finally get this baby into the air this summer!

Enjoy,

Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B, Valerii Ivantsov

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 24 Feb 2018 01:11 #1083

Congrats great video too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Lardner

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 24 Feb 2018 16:58 #1084

I believe in resistance material (I mean the science of calculating strength), but only when it is thick enough. :)

This is a joke built on the play of words.

I heartily congratulate you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Lardner

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 28 Feb 2018 20:42 #1086

Great Phil!!!! Congratulations! It was a nerve wrecking experience I can imagine. My heartrate tripled with every Boink and Clonk in the video!. I must admit that I don't look forward doing the same to my baby, but it is inevitable.

Thanx for sharing this with us. I hope I will be as brave when it is my turn!

Look forward to see the videos from you, enjoying the turbulences over Aspres en Veines in full coinfidence this summer!

Erik Jan

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 28 Feb 2018 21:06 #1087

Cheers Erik!

Just for the record, my leading edge D-section is fabricated from two layers of 200gsm carbon with a single layer of 150-200gsm kevlar in between (I'll have to dig out the kevlar specs to be 100% sure). It performed very well despite my drama queen comments in the video! I decided at an early stage of the build to dispense with all the 'false ribs' in the D-section, which are made of foam board only. I got away with that trick... just. If I were to build the wings again I'd probably include them as they will definitely help the D-section to hold its shape under extreme load. I'd be inclined to use 1/2" - 3/4" thick foam board for the false ribs, with a big hole to lighten them up as much as possible. They don't need to be strong to prevent the D-section from buckling under compression and help it keep its shape.

Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B