Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 09 Mar 2018 18:44 #1088

New video - Covering the Wings using Stewart Systems 1.8oz SuperFlite Polyester Dacron and their EkoClean / EkoBond products.

I'm nearly finished converting my garage into a spray shop and hope to get the flight surfaces painted as soon as the air temperature rises a bit - the EkoPoly 2-part paint needs a minimum of 65-75°F to cure. Watch this space!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B, Valerii Ivantsov, Jeff Johnson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 29 May 2018 22:11 #1099

Aviation is imminent!

This test hop, using 4 out of 6 bungee ropes worked well, but the next run, using all 6 bungees revealed a problem - I couldn't open / release the rear anchor mechanism under the increased load. I will have to redesign the anchor release before I can take the test hops any further.

Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 29 May 2018 23:25 #1100

Beautiful, fantastic, did you use the original tow release design on the tail?

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 30 May 2018 00:30 #1102

I don't know how you resisted taking a couple short hops. I'm looking forward to the first flight video and reports!

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 30 May 2018 08:12 #1104

Cheers Don!

Yes, I copied the tow release and used it for the rear glider anchor release, but the bungee pressure proved too much and I damaged the release handle, pulling the cable ferrule out of its mount in the cockpit.

I'm prototyping a much simpler release at the moment and will post a photo when I'm happy with it. The new release is a simplified version of a Schweizer Hitch:

Phil.
Attachments:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 30 May 2018 16:33 #1107

Great Phil! The bird looks beutifull! Pitty about the release. The one you drew will work I think, but only as a retainer. One can buy these sort of releases in a marine store. Used one like that on my hangglider in the early days.