Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 18 Jun 2018 13:46 #1125

Well around here the skydivers are the most wild. There are airline pilots will not fly jumpers because they might get a bad reputation. I would think they would let you do anything. For initial testing it might be a good idea to drive a little farther.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 22 Jul 2018 08:56 #1127

...in case anyone likes watching paint dry!...

Painting the Wings with Stewart Systems EkoFill and EkoPoly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valerii Ivantsov

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 27 Jul 2018 08:35 #1133

Hi Phil, have to rattly internet acces to whatch the paint dry, but have a question. Along the line
I understood that you wanted to come over to Aspres with your CD this summer. If so, when will you be there? I am close-by untill august 13. Would be very nice to shake hands and watch the bird fly!

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 27 Jul 2018 09:38 #1134

Hi Erik,

I'd love to meet you if I can get down to Aspres in time and you're still in that neck of the woods - where are you based down there?

There is a Fete de l'Air on at Aspres aerodrome (free access) on the 5th August, which I was hoping to make it to but that's looking unlikely at the moment. Jac Bott and a number of fellow Adpul/PUL pilots will be there, displaying Swifts, an Archaeopteryx and a LightHawk gliders. Jac runs an ultralight aero-tow service there and also offers Swift tuition - top man to know if you plan to fly ultralights in that part of France.

I'm trying to persuade my partner in crime and fellow class-2 pilot, Ken Hickey, that he needs to stop working, bring his Swift down to Aspres with me and enjoy life for a few weeks... but the company he works for is in the middle of it's summer maintenance shut-down and he's up to his ears in work (and ov€rtim€!) He's looking at the second two weeks in August, but I may try and get down there earlier if the next round of test flights go well - I haven't booked the ferry yet.

I'll let you know my dates once I've got the ferry booked.

All the best,

Phil.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 31 Aug 2018 20:13 #1189

Hi Folks,

Here's the first of a few test flight videos I've been making while I'm based at the aerodrome de Aspres-sur-Buesch in the southern French Alpes. This video shows a number of car-tow launches on a 60m rope, and ascending to no more than around 50' agl. The last tow didn't go quite to plan and I came down hard enough to destroy the rather flimsy plastic hub on the main wheel. I replaced the wheel with a spare and was back in the air the next day.
I've since done an aero tow (behind a flex-wing / delta trike) to 2100m agl and two tows to 1600m agl. While the glider is still a little nose heavy, it tows and handles like a dream, and you can literally fly this glider in your sleep! It is both docile and responsive, and so far I have not been able to get it to stall despite my best efforts! I'll upload more test flight videos when I can, but the internet connection at the camp site is painfully slow.
Enjoy,

Phil.

PS - I was delighted to meet fellow builder Erik Jan Brans and Hanneke, his wife who were holidaying not far from Aspres. Erik - I really look forward to flying with you in the near future. What a sight it will be to see two Carbon Dragons in the air at the same time!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don B

Last edit: by Phil Lardner.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 31 Aug 2018 21:34 #1190

Hi Phil, thanx for sharing this footage with us! Great to see it in the air! It seems to float on for ever in flight 5 an 6. I couldn't make out what your flap setting was. 5 degrees? 65 km/h is quite fast considering it is essentially a footlaunched glider. How fast are the Swifts in tow? Did Jacques mentioed that? Pitty of the wheel. I bought one at Alibaba with an aluminium hub, but have the feeling the wheel is to small for the job. Am considering a slightly larger diameter. Very nice to see Aspres again and am indeed very much looking forward to fly with two CD along that ridge! Many happy flights and I am very curious for the thermaling behaviour. Hanneke says hello and congratulations! Bye for now and good night, EJ