Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 30 May 2018 20:57 #1108

Erik:.....Can you please provide name or link of that marine store release you are talking about.

is this what you were talking about?

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...BrB49WNcXwU_m_kUEOCw

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Don B.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 31 May 2018 09:24 #1109

Here are some photos of the original Maupin release (which requires a lot of effort to open under the high, 120 - 130Kg load/strain of the bungee cords)

...and my new Schweizer style aft release.

Both release mechanisms are fabricated out of 6mm thick aluminium plate, mounted between two short sections of 3mm thick aluminium angle.

I only finished knocking up the new release last night and need to load test it properly in the pilot pod under the full load of the bungees (that'll be next week, after I get back from the bank holiday weekend trip to Achill Island , in the west of Ireland, for a spot of hang gliding!), but initial tests with the release mounted in my bench vice and putting as much load as I could on it with a tow-ring and rope suggest it will be much easier to activate/release than the original Maupin type release. I'll post my results later.

It should be noted that I have the aft release mounted just aft of the main wheel box/lower bulkhead using a couple of 6mm ring bolts. The ring ends of the ring bolts are inside the wheel box, either side of the wheel. I then run a pair of steel cables from the ring forward (under the pilot's bum) to two bolts, either side of the original tow release, mounted in the foot-plate. These cables transfer the tensile load from the release through to a known 'hard point' on the pilot pod structure. Without them, it is likely that the pilot pod framework would be damaged or torn apart! Again, I'll post photos when I have it all reassembled again.

Phil.
Attachments:

Last edit: by System Administrator.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 11 Jun 2018 03:47 #1112

I like the automatic release feature of the original tow hook, will you still be using that on the nose?

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 11 Jun 2018 09:43 #1114

I'm keeping the original tow release on the nose - it works well at lower tensile loads (aero / car tow), and the auto-release even works with the bungee once it has gone slack after launch and you over-fly it. I finished installing the new, rear release and will be teting it today with a few more bungee hops, hopefully at full power and different flap settings.

Phil.

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 11 Jun 2018 10:46 #1115

Brilliant. I can't wait to see the video!!

Progress on Phil Lardner's All-carbon CD? (Part 2) 16 Jun 2018 20:32 #1118

Phil, thanks so much for your video work on "Curragh Bungee Session 12 June 2018"!

Question: What did you use to anchor the bungees in the ground?

I'm looking forward to more video of flights, mishaps and all. Video of CD's seems to be somewhat rare, so I really appreciate the effort you've made to make the video available.

Last edit: by Randy Wiser. Reason: Should have previewed before posting ;-)